Identify Head Lice Pictures
A head lice infestation is difficult to detect because the louse has developed the ability to camouflage itself matching the color of the hair, very much like a chameleon.
- Blond Hair: Translucent Infestation
- Medium Brown Hair: Translucent to Light Brown Infestation
- Dark Brown Hair: Medium Brown to Dark Brown Infestation
- Red Hair: Reddish Brown to Red Infestation
When there is an abundance of scalp debris present in the hair it sometimes will be confused for head lice. Some scalp debris will mimic a nit attached to the hair shaft thus inaccurately diagnosing a head lice infestation.
Classification of Scalp Debris
- Shampoo, Conditioner or Natural Oil Buildup
- Cradle Cap
- Skin Disorders
If it Flicks, It is Not a Nit!! Scalp debris will easily move out of place when touched, while, a nit will have to be scraped off the hair strand. A viable nit with an embryo inside will appear brown or translucent in color and a placebo nit will be solid white, when removed from the hair strand.